The final results will be published soon and information on the various products is provided here or will be provided soon (project ends by March 2019).
Below the various products produced within the EUSTACE-project are listed. More background information on the products is given in the reports listed behind the products and in the Scientific User Guide (report 18; see list of reports below). How to get acces to the datasets themselves is described in the Product User Guide (report 19).
- Global daily air temperature estimates: gridded dataset with best-estimate with uncertainty estimates, for 1850-2015 (mean temperatures) and gridded ensemble of air temperatures estimates (see reports 9, 14, 15)
- Air temperature estimates from satellite: globally gridded clear-sky daily air temperature estimates from satellites with uncertainty estimates for land, ocean and ice, 1995-2016 (see reports 2, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15)
- Global satellite surface temperatures with consistently-estimated uncertainties for land, ice and oceans (see reports 2 and 3)
- European land station daily air temperature measurements, homogenized (see report 4)
- Gridded European surface air temperature based on homogenised land station records since 1950 (see report 5)
- Global land station daily air temperature measurements with non-climatic discontinuities identified, for 1850-2015 (see report 6)
- Validation match up database: coincident daily air temperature estimates and reference measurements, for validation, 1850-2015 (see report 15)
(direct links included to the reports, if available already)
- Short report on availability of regular updates to source data sets with recommendations as to alternative data sources if needed (April 2015; WP1)
- Report on common approach to estimating uncertainties across all surfaces (August 2015; WP1)
- Uncertainties added to satellite data sets in CEMS (October 2015; WP1)
- Report on homogenised daily LSAT (October 2016; WP1)
- Gridded data product for Europe, based on the homogenised LSAT (August 2017; WP1)
- Global LSAT dataset with discontinuities identified where possible (February 2017; WP1)
- Report on the relationship between satellite surface skin temperature and surface air temperature observations for oceans, land, sea ice, ice sheets, and lakes (April 2018; WP1)
- Lake temperature modelling evaluation (April 2018; WP1)
- Consistent set of air temperature fields and uncertainties across all surfaces (March 2019; WP2)
- Final, verified products delivered to CEMS for dissemination (April 2019; WP2)
- Validation report for surface temperature uncertainties (March 2016; WP3)
- Intercomparison report for the intermediate fields inferred from retrievals (April 2018; WP3)
- Validation report for the intermediate fields inferred from retrievals (August 2016; WP3)
- Intercomparison report for the final in-filled EUSTACE surface air temperature product (April 2019; WP3)
- Validation report for the final in-filled EUSTACE surface air temperature product (April 2019; WP3)
- User requirement specification (for other WPs) (September 2015; WP4)
- Report on user workshop (March 2017; WP4)
- Scientific user guide (April 2019; WP4)
- Product user guide (April 2019; WP4)
- Connection of final products to data services (CEDA) (April 2019, WP4)
- Paper submitted for peer-review on overall EUSTACE project and key findings (April 2019, paper will appear here once accepted)
Peer-revied articles (all open access):
(direct links included to the articles)
- Brugnara, Y., R. Auchmann, S. Brönnimann, R. J. Allan, I. Auer, M. Barriendos, H. Bergström, J. Bhend, R. Brázdil, G. P. Compo, R. C. Cornes, F. Dominguez-Castro, A. F. V. van Engelen, J. Filipiak, J. Holopainen, S. Jourdain, M. Kunz, J. Luterbacher, M. Maugeri, L. Mercalli, A. Moberg, C. J. Mock, G. Pichard, L. Reznícková, G. van der Schrier, V. Slonosky, Z. Ustrnul, M. A. Valente, A. Wypych & X. Yin, 2015. A collection of sub-daily pressure and temperature observations for the early instrumental period with a focus on the "year without a summer" 1816. Climate of the Past, Volume 11, Issue 8, Pages: 1027-1047, doi:10.5194/cp-11-1027-2015.
- Brugnara Y., R. Auchmann, S. Brönnimann, A. Bozzo, D. Cat Berro & L. Mercalli, 2016. Trends of mean and extreme temperature indices since 1874 at low-elevation sites in the Southern Alps. Journal of Geophysical Research, Volume 121, Issue 7, Pages: 3304–3325, doi.org/10.1002/2015JD024582 (The paper does not contain information on EUSTACE or that has come directly from EUSTACE. It is part of MS19 ("Gathering of available digitised data"), because co-authors have provided data that can be used within EUSTACE, on the condition that a paper is published.)
- Woolway, R.I., C.J. Merchant, K. Cinque, E. de Eyto, C.L. DeGasperi, M.T. Dokulil, J. Korhonen, S.C. Maberly, W. Marszelewski, L. May, A.M. Paterson, M. Riffler, A. Rimmer, J.A. Rusak, S.G. Schladow, M. Schmid, K. Teubner, P. Verburg, B. Vigneswaran, S. Watanabe & G.A. Weyhenmeyer, 2016. Lake surface temperatures. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, State of the Climate 2015, pages: 17-18. doi.org/10.1175/2016BAMSStateoftheClimate.1.
- Good, E., 2016. An in situ-based analysis of the relationship between land surface ‘skin’ and screen-level air temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, Volume 121, Issue 15, Pages: 8801–8819. doi.org/10.1002/2016JD025318.
- Woolway, R.I. & C. Merchant, 2017. Amplified surface temperature response of cold, deep lakes to inter-annual air temperature variability. Nature Scientific Reports, 7, Article number: 4130. doi:10.1038/s41598-017-04058-0.
- Woolway, R. I., P. Verburg, C.J. Merchant, J.D. Lenters, D.P. Hamilton, J.Brookes, S. Kelly, S. Hook, D. Pierson, A. Rimmer, J.A. Rusak & I.D. Jones, 2017. Latitude and lake size are important predictors of over-lake atmospheric stability, Geophysical Research Letters 44, Pages: 8875-8883. doi:10.1002/2017GL073941.
- Woolway, R.I., M.T. Dokulil, W. Marszelewski, M. Schmid, D. Bouffard & C.J. Merchant, 2017. Warming of Central European lakes and their response to the 1980s climate regime shift. Climatic Change 142, Pages:505-520. doi:10.1007/s10584-017-1966-4.
- Woolway, R. I., et al., 2017. Lake surface temperature [in “State of the Climate in 2016”]. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 98 (8), S13–S14, doi:10.1175/2017BAMSStateoftheClimate.1.
- Woolway, R.I., P. Meinson, P. Nõges, I.D. Jones & A. Laas, 2017. Atmospheric stilling leads to prolonged thermal stratification in a large shallow polymictic lake. Climatic Change 141, Pages:759–773, doi:10.1007/s10584-017-1909-0
- Thorne P.W., R.J. Allan, L. Ashcroft, P. Brohan, R.J.H Dunn, M.J. Menne, P. Pearce, J. Picas, K.M. Willett, M. Benoy, S. Bronnimann, P.O. Canziani, J. Coll, R. Crouthamel, G.P. Compo, D. Cuppett, M. Curley, C. Duffy, I. Gillespie, J. Guijarro, S. Jourdain, E.C. Kent, H. Kubota, T.P. Legg, Q. Li, J. Matsumoto, C. Murphy, N.A. Rayner, J.J. Rennie, E. Rustemeier, L. Slivinski, V. Slonosky, A. Squintu, B. Tinz, M.A. Valente, S. Walsh, X.L. Wang, N. Westcott, K. Wood, S.D. Woodruff & S.J. Worley, 2017. Towards an integrated set of surface meteorological observations for climate science and applications. B. Amer. Meteorol. Soc. 98, Pages 2689–2702. doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0165.1 (with EUSTACE Acknowledgement)
- Woolway, R. I., Merchant, C. J., 2018. Intra-lake heterogeneity of thermal responses to climate change: A study of large Northern Hemisphere lakes. Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres, Volume 123, Issue 6, Pages: 3087-3098. doi:10.1002/2017JD027661
- Squintu, A.A., G. van der Schrier, Y. Brugnara & A. Klein Tank, 2018. Homogenization of daily temperature series in the European Climate Assessment & Dataset. International Journal of Climatology, Volume 39, Issue 3, Pages: 1243-1261. doi.org/10.1002/joc.5874
- Nielsen-Englyst, P., J.L. Høyer, K.S. Madsen, G. Dybkjær, R. Tonboe & E. Alerskans, 2018. In situ observed relationships between skin temperatures and 2 m air temperatures in the Arctic, The Cryosphere Discuss., doi.org/10.5194/tc-2018-150
- Woolway, R. I., et al., 2018. Lake surface temperature [in “State of the Climate in 2017”]. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 99(8), S13–S15, doi:10.1175/2018BAMSStateoftheClimate.
- Woolway, R.I., P. Verburg, J.D. Lenters, C.J. Merchant, D.P. Hamilton, J. Brookes, E. de Eyto, S. Kelly, N. Healey, S. Hook, A. Laas, D. Pierson, J.A. Rusak, J. Kuha, J. Karjalainen, K. Kallio, A. Lepisto & I.D. Jones, 2018. Geographic and temporal variation in turbulent heat loss from lakes: A global analysis across 45 lakes. Limnology and Oceanography, Volume 63, Issue 6, Pages: 2436-2449. doi:10.1002/lno.10950
- Hunziker, S., S. Brönnimann, J. Calle, I. Moreno, M. Andrade, L. Ticona, W. Lavado, A. Huerta (2018) Effects of undetected data quality issues on climatological analyses. Clim. Past, Volume 14, Pages: 1-20. doi.org/10.5194/cp-14-1-2018 (with EUSTACE Acknowledgement)
- Brönnimann, S., R. Allan, C. Atkinson, R. Buizza, O. Bulygina, P. Dahlgren, D. Dee, R. Dunn, P. Gomes, V. John, S. Jourdain, L. Haimberger, H. Hersbach, J. Kennedy, P. Poli, J. Pulliainen, N. Rayner, R. Saunders, J. Schulz, A. Sterin, A. Stickler, H. Titchner, M. A. Valente, C. Ventura & C. Wilkinson, 2018. Observations for Reanalyses. Bull. Amer. Meteorol. Soc., Volume 99, Pages: 1851–1866. doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-17-0229.1 (with EUSTACE Acknowledgement)
- Sidén, P., F. Lindgren, D. Bolin & M. Villani, 2018. Efficient Covariance Approximations for Large Sparse Precision Matrices, Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, Volume 27, Issue 4, Pages: 898-909, doi:10.1080/10618600.2018.1473782